NOUMEA, New Caledonia---- The integration of women with disabilities in the 2015 development agenda is weak in the Pacific region says Ms Bridget Leduc, Gender Advisor of the Secretariat if the Pacific Community.
It has been more than 100 years since a proposal that a celebration of and for women be held every year in every country on the same day was tabled at the second international conference of working women in Copenhagen by Clara Zetkin, as the leader of Germany’s Social Democratic ...
March 8—is International Women’s Day (IWD)—and it is celebrated throughout the world. For the Pacific, there is a lot more going for it this year and the March IWD should be a very good reason to celebrate our achievements.
Wed 06 Mar 2013 -
NEW YORK, USA --- Today on International Women’s Day I join every individual who believes that change is possible. We are guided by a founding principle of the United Nations: the equal rights of men and women.
Wed 06 Mar 2013 -
SYDNEY, Australia - Women face greater odds in achieving equal political representation in the Pacific Islands than in any other region of the world, holding just three percent of seats in national parliaments, compared to 20 percent in Sub-Saharan Africa and 18.5 percent in South East Asia.
Tue 05 Mar 2013 -
SUVA, Fiji --- Economic empowerment is this year’s National Council of Women’s International Women’s Day celebrations focus says NCW general secretary, Fay Volatabu.
Over five weeks in April and May, Solomon Islands One Television premiered RAMSI’s new documentary series, Mere Blo Iumi, Stori Blo Oketa—Our Women, Their Stories.
In October 2010, Peace Corps volunteer Michelle Ferreira showed three women in Wailevu village on Vanua Levu how to make virgin coconut oil.
Fri 01 Feb 2013 -
SUVA, Fiji (FWCC) --- A national survey of women in Fiji has found that more than three in five (64% of women) who had ever been in a relationship have experienced physical or sexual violence or both by a husband or intimate partner.
Fri 01 Feb 2013 -
NUKU’ALOFA, Tonga (MATANGI TONGA) ---- Gloria Guttenbeil Pole'o was appointed as the Clerk of the House effective on Monday 28 January 2013, the Office of the Legislative Assembly of Tonga announced.
Despite being natural team players, Pacific women are too often left watching from the sidelines according to the results of ‘gender stocktakes’ in several countries.
In the past few months, the Pacific has lost two champions of women’s rights—Ruth Lechte and Susan Parkinson.
Most of the Pacific Islands region continues to be one of the least women-friendly places in the world.
For centuries, Samoa has always prided herself as a country that promotes the role of women as leaders in every aspect of society
‘It is heartening to see that an event promoting women in business is bringing together women entrepreneurs, academics, financial and business experts, bankers and women media persons together in Fiji this month to identify the ongoing challenges women face in their business endeavours and deliberate on finding solutions’
The participation of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the post-Pacific Islands Forum dialogue this year proved especially appropriate since the role of women had been for once pushed to the fore.
- Fri 07 Mar - Switzerland: UN health agency issues guidance on access to contraceptive information, services
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Australia's asylum-seeker obsession risks damaging PNG relations
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Australian-funded charcoal project making life a little cleaner and easier for Papua New Guineans
- Fri 07 Mar - Cook Islands: Cook Islands chosen as Pristine location for Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary swimsuit issue
- Fri 07 Mar - Fiji: Fiji awaits words from Timor Leste on Volunteer Scheme
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Nauru and PNG complain of Australian media coverage
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Manus Island inquiry: PNG may not allow Australian probe on its soil
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Lethal injection to be used in PNG capital punishment
- Thu 06 Mar - Fiji: Kalouniwai is Fiji's Military LandForce Commander
- Thu 06 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG on brink of IT revolution