I first began paying close attention to the Aeroscraft project at the start of 2012 during a stint of research for a long-term aviation project with Ben Lucas, a young physicist based in Los Angeles, along the beach just south of Santa Monica’s airport, north of the airfields of Playa ...
Although most islands in the Pacific have Australian-provided patrol boats, aerial surveillance is the key to effective fisheries enforcement.
The Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) has developed a world-leading computer model to help the government of Tonga understand how Tongatapu would be impacted by a tsunami created by a magnitude 8.7 earthquake.
Almost all communities in the Pacific region are touched in some way by information and communication technology (ICT)— whether ‘old ICT’ such as radio, telephone and television or ‘new ICT’ such as Internet and mobile phones.
A spate of recent natural disasters – such as the Samoan earthquake and tsunami of 2009, the Tuvaluan drought of 2011 and the Fijian flash floods in early 2012 – have had devastating effects on Pacific Island countries, claiming hundreds of lives, displacing thousands of people and placing considerable strain ...
Using mobile telephones to leapfrog development initiatives through innovation has long been done in most developing countries, especially in Africa and Asia. Now, it is somewhat slowly taking root in the Pacific.
“…the most significant achievement of the meet was undoubtedly the updating of Article 5 of the International Telecommunication Regulations, which will play a tangible role in saving lives and assisting in the readiness and recovery process once disasters strike”
If new Information Communication Technology (ICT) is best understood by Pacific Islanders as texting on mobile telephones, updating Facebook, checking e-mails, hashtagging on Twitter, uploading videos on YouTube or downloading music from the Internet, then, as the saying goes: ‘you ain’t seen nothin’ yet’.
- Fri 07 Mar - Switzerland: UN health agency issues guidance on access to contraceptive information, services
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Australia's asylum-seeker obsession risks damaging PNG relations
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Australian-funded charcoal project making life a little cleaner and easier for Papua New Guineans
- Fri 07 Mar - Cook Islands: Cook Islands chosen as Pristine location for Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary swimsuit issue
- Fri 07 Mar - Fiji: Fiji awaits words from Timor Leste on Volunteer Scheme
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Nauru and PNG complain of Australian media coverage
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Manus Island inquiry: PNG may not allow Australian probe on its soil
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Lethal injection to be used in PNG capital punishment
- Thu 06 Mar - Fiji: Kalouniwai is Fiji's Military LandForce Commander
- Thu 06 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG on brink of IT revolution