International shipping in this part of the world is famously fraught with irregularities and high freight costs that finding a solution to satisfy both governments and the shipping companies is still an unresolved enigma, especially where the very small Pacific islands countries are concerned. Imagine having to service a handful ...
In April 2009, 24 crew members of MV Hansa Stavanger, a German container ship, were captured by heavily armed Somali pirates. Unarmed and no match for the pirates the sailors were held in captivity for four months with a ransom of US$15 million demanded for their release.
An innovative maritime project is improving the safety and efficiency of domestic maritime services, spurring rural development in Solomon Islands and it is shaping up to be a model for similar projects in the Pacific region as SALLY SHUTE-TREMBATH* reports.
NUKUNONU, Tokelau --- NZ-administered Tokelau is looking for tenders to design and construct a new ship for the tiny islands.
PNG Maritime College, the Pacific’s premier maritime institution, is steaming ahead with the opening of new facilities to lift the standard of seamen training in the region.
The Rabaul Queen was a vessel doomed to die. When it finally turned turtle, it took more than 200 people—mostly children and students —down with it, mostly trapped in overcrowded cabins, down to the 3,000-metre depths where it now lies.
The region’s leading tuna management control authority in the Pacific believes the latest move by the Solomon Islands to give priority to fishing companies that invest in the country would influence investment and offer more employment for locals.
On January 13, 2012, the world witnessed one of the worst cruise ship disasters in decades.
Domestic shipping services in many Pacific islands countries are far from adequate.
- Wed 12 Mar - Italy: UN expert calls for bridging gap between urban consumers and local food producers
- Wed 12 Mar - Tonga: National Human Rights Consultation a first for Tonga
- Wed 12 Mar - Niue: Niue govt investigates salary increases for specialist fields
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG Nasfund CEO: Contribution must be universal
- Wed 12 Mar - Fiji: Clock ticking for Fiji to ratify interim EPA
- Wed 12 Mar - Fiji: Fiji Police consider special election recruitment
- Wed 12 Mar - Australia: ‘Asylum standards top those of PNG’: Bishop
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG Opposition react on Treasurer sacking
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG Treasurer accept sacking by PM O'Neill
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Kiribati public utitlity board to learn from Water PNG