International shipping in this part of the world is famously fraught with irregularities and high freight costs that finding a solution to satisfy both governments and the shipping companies is still an unresolved enigma, especially where the very small Pacific islands countries are concerned. Imagine having to service a handful ...
In April 2009, 24 crew members of MV Hansa Stavanger, a German container ship, were captured by heavily armed Somali pirates. Unarmed and no match for the pirates the sailors were held in captivity for four months with a ransom of US$15 million demanded for their release.
An innovative maritime project is improving the safety and efficiency of domestic maritime services, spurring rural development in Solomon Islands and it is shaping up to be a model for similar projects in the Pacific region as SALLY SHUTE-TREMBATH* reports.
NUKUNONU, Tokelau --- NZ-administered Tokelau is looking for tenders to design and construct a new ship for the tiny islands.
PNG Maritime College, the Pacific’s premier maritime institution, is steaming ahead with the opening of new facilities to lift the standard of seamen training in the region.
The Rabaul Queen was a vessel doomed to die. When it finally turned turtle, it took more than 200 people—mostly children and students —down with it, mostly trapped in overcrowded cabins, down to the 3,000-metre depths where it now lies.
The region’s leading tuna management control authority in the Pacific believes the latest move by the Solomon Islands to give priority to fishing companies that invest in the country would influence investment and offer more employment for locals.
On January 13, 2012, the world witnessed one of the worst cruise ship disasters in decades.
Domestic shipping services in many Pacific islands countries are far from adequate.
- Thu 27 Nov - Australia: Australian support for France’s nuclear force
- Mon 24 Nov - Italy: UN conference generates renewed global momentum to eradicate malnutrition
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: MSG Trade Agreement under review November
- Mon 24 Nov - New Zealand: 30 Fijians to work in NZ under seasonal scheme
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: Stand by big brothers: PNG foreign minister Pato
- Mon 24 Nov - Solomon Islands: $10m of AusAID funds stolen in Solomon Islands
- Mon 24 Nov - Vanuatu: Vanuatu PM in court bid to stop no confidence motions
- Mon 24 Nov - Papua New Guinea: PNG welcomes Fiji back in the PIF
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: Chinese President’s visit is “unprecedented” says an academic
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: Fiji’s 39 years of deepened relations with China bears fruit