ROME, Italy ---- Food systems are too focused on maximizing profits and not enough on promoting the human right to adequate food and freedom from hunger, a United Nations independent expert said today, calling for the systems “to be radically and democratically redesigned” by promoting small farmers and cutting food ...
ROME, Italy ---- The United Nations today stressed that Governments in Asia and the Pacific – which has more hungry people than all the other regions of the world combined – should take some major decisions soon about ways to increase food production and address undernourishment.
ROME, Italy ----The international fish trade is breaking records, the United Nations today reported, but benefits from the trade are not trickling down to the small-scale fishing communities which make up the majority of the sector’s global workforce.
ROME, Italy --- Global food prices declined for the first time in three months as lower prices for cereals, sugars, oils and meat outstripped gains in dairy values, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) reported today.
ROME, Italy --- For the second consecutive month, the cost of food worldwide remained nearly unchanged in December, with overall global food prices for 2013 among the highest on record, the United Nations food agency today reported.
ROME, ITALY --- Pope Francis issued the mission statement for his papacy, outlining how the Catholic Church and the papacy itself must be reformed to create a more missionary and merciful church that gets its hands dirty as it seeks out the poor and oppressed.
ROME, Italy ---The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today hailed a multi-partner project focused on improving global sustainable tuna fisheries by reducing illegal catch and supporting biodiversity in the common oceans.
ROME, Italy --- The waste of some 1.3 billion tons of food each year is causing economic losses of $750 billion and significant damage to the environment, according to a United Nations report launched today.
ROME, Italy --- Global food prices declined for the third consecutive month, largely driven by lower international prices for grains, soy and palm oil, while sugar, meat and dairy prices were also down, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) reported today.
ROME, Italy ----– Small-scale farmers – who produce the majority of food in the developing world – need to be better integrated into markets to reduce global hunger and poverty, the United Nations food and agricultural agency today reported urging more nuanced policymaking for smallholder farmers.
ROME, Italy --- Pope Francis has admitted that a "gay lobby" exists within the Vatican's administration and is planning to take action about it, according to reports.
ROME, Italy ---With climate change affecting agricultural productivity and growing populations demanding more food, it will be crucial for countries to preserve and share genetic resources to ensure food security, the United Nations agricultural agency said today.
- Tue 22 Apr - USA: Ahead of Sendai conference, Ban pushes for 2015 global agreement on disaster risk
- Tue 22 Apr - Northern Mariana Islands: Two apply for Saipan casino license
- Tue 22 Apr - Northern Mariana Islands: Google Earth to visit Saipan next month
- Tue 22 Apr - Papua New Guinea: British think-tank calls on PNG to improve its forest governance by partnering with Europe
- Tue 22 Apr - Samoa: Samoa's former finance minister keeps UN as an option
- Tue 22 Apr - Fiji: National Candidate List by August 25
- Tue 22 Apr - Papua New Guinea: PNG, Indonesia set for border talks
- Tue 22 Apr - Indonesia: Indonesian foreign minister Marty Natalegawa expects Australia to sign off on deal to limit spying
- Tue 22 Apr - Cook Islands: Huge marine park in Cook Islands on track for 2015
- Wed 16 Apr - Australia: Asylum babies ‘must not be sent to PNG’