Xianbin Yao, the Asian Development Bank’s new Director General for the Pacific, recently visited the University of the South Pacific in Suva, Fiji, to sign an agreement under a US$19 million loan to upgrade regional campuses in Fiji, Kiribati, and Solomon Islands; and improve distance education and e-learning.
Pamela Cox, the World Bank’s new Vice President for East Asia and Pacific, visited Samoa recently and met with people affected by the 2009 tsunami, which had claimed 143 lives and left 5,000 homeless. It was her first visit to a Pacific country.
As the incoming Chief Trade Adviser (CTA) for Pacific Islands Countries, Dr Edwini Kessie has his job cut out for him. When he takes his leave from the Council and Trade Negotiations Committee Division of the World Trade Organisation in Geneva to join the Office of the CTA in Port ...
Dr Alfred Duda is the outgoing Senior Advisor on International Waters at the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Secretariattalks to SOPAC’s Tiy Chung about the Pacific IWRM project and his hopes for the future of the region.
If there is something Dr Jimmie Rodgers -- the longest serving Director-General of the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) -- wants to see as the organisation celebrates its 65th birthday this year, it’s for the 22 Pacific Islands member countries to really use the SPC to their advantage.
- Switzerland: Views from the Frontline finds lack of engagement with local communities in disaster risk reduction
- Nauru: Nauru calls June 22 election
- Indonesia: Indonesia and PNG plan joint exploration in border areas
- New Zealand: Situation for Pacific people in NZ unlikely to affect migration: academic
- Norfolk Island: Concerns in Norfolk about relaxed immigration