Ongoing police investigation into a human trafficking racket in Fiji has uncovered the exploitation of two 12-year old girls who are allegedly being sold for sex.
The Melanesian Spearhead Group heads into further talks this month to seek more answers from the MSG mission that failed to meet indigenous West Papuan leaders in West Papua last month.
It has been more than 100 years since a proposal that a celebration of and for women be held every year in every country on the same day was tabled at the second international conference of working women in Copenhagen by Clara Zetkin, as the leader of Germany’s Social Democratic ...
As the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) joins other Pacific countries like Palau and Fiji to enact laws that tackle Trafficking In Persons (TIP), recent analysis has revealed the vulnerability of the Pacific islands region in this organised criminal activity.
This month sees the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, also known as ‘Rio+20’ or ‘Earth Summit 2012’ getting underway.
People with disabilities can experience discrimination, exclusion and neglect. This is true in the Pacific and around the world.
The Pacific and Central Asia share a peculiar similarity. They are the only locations not covered by a regional human rights mechanism, such as a human rights commission or court.
Jeban Riklon traveled half way around the world to be present at the September 13 United Nations Human Rights Council's hearing on the human rights impact of US nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands.
Reacting to the release last month of the UN Special Rapporteur's report on nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands, the US Embassy in Majuro said: "The United States is committed to a continuing dialogue and cooperation with the Marshallese people and their government on this important issue."
The release in mid-September of the United Nations Special Rapporteur's report on the human rights impact of nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands provides a roadmap for the United States, the United Nations and the Marshall Islands to effectively address the numerous outstanding problems in this north Pacific nation.
- Fri 07 Mar - Switzerland: UN health agency issues guidance on access to contraceptive information, services
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Australia's asylum-seeker obsession risks damaging PNG relations
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Australian-funded charcoal project making life a little cleaner and easier for Papua New Guineans
- Fri 07 Mar - Cook Islands: Cook Islands chosen as Pristine location for Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary swimsuit issue
- Fri 07 Mar - Fiji: Fiji awaits words from Timor Leste on Volunteer Scheme
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Nauru and PNG complain of Australian media coverage
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Manus Island inquiry: PNG may not allow Australian probe on its soil
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Lethal injection to be used in PNG capital punishment
- Thu 06 Mar - Fiji: Kalouniwai is Fiji's Military LandForce Commander
- Thu 06 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG on brink of IT revolution