Ongoing police investigation into a human trafficking racket in Fiji has uncovered the exploitation of two 12-year old girls who are allegedly being sold for sex.
The Melanesian Spearhead Group heads into further talks this month to seek more answers from the MSG mission that failed to meet indigenous West Papuan leaders in West Papua last month.
It has been more than 100 years since a proposal that a celebration of and for women be held every year in every country on the same day was tabled at the second international conference of working women in Copenhagen by Clara Zetkin, as the leader of Germany’s Social Democratic ...
As the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) joins other Pacific countries like Palau and Fiji to enact laws that tackle Trafficking In Persons (TIP), recent analysis has revealed the vulnerability of the Pacific islands region in this organised criminal activity.
This month sees the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, also known as ‘Rio+20’ or ‘Earth Summit 2012’ getting underway.
People with disabilities can experience discrimination, exclusion and neglect. This is true in the Pacific and around the world.
The Pacific and Central Asia share a peculiar similarity. They are the only locations not covered by a regional human rights mechanism, such as a human rights commission or court.
Jeban Riklon traveled half way around the world to be present at the September 13 United Nations Human Rights Council's hearing on the human rights impact of US nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands.
Reacting to the release last month of the UN Special Rapporteur's report on nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands, the US Embassy in Majuro said: "The United States is committed to a continuing dialogue and cooperation with the Marshallese people and their government on this important issue."
The release in mid-September of the United Nations Special Rapporteur's report on the human rights impact of nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands provides a roadmap for the United States, the United Nations and the Marshall Islands to effectively address the numerous outstanding problems in this north Pacific nation.
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: China’s President Xi Jinping pledges to deepen cooperation with Pacific Island Countries
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: China's President visit to Fiji
- Mon 24 Nov - Fiji: SIDETRACKS
- Fri 14 Nov - China: China to lift aid to Pacific, sees cooperation with Taiwan allies
- Fri 14 Nov - Australia: U.S and Kiribati sign historic cooperative arrangement to protect vital marine habitat in the Pacific
- Mon 10 Nov - French Polynesia: French justice minister defers Tahiti trip
- Mon 10 Nov - Cook Islands: Relief as Cook Islands budget is passed
- Mon 10 Nov - Fiji: Modi to hold mini summit in Fiji
- Tue 04 Nov - Fiji: Political will needed to revive ailing Fiji tuna industry
- Tue 04 Nov - Australia: Helping Pacific islanders eat more "greens"