There’s extra excitement in the air as the Samoan Government and its people get ready to host perhaps the biggest celebrations in its history through its golden jubilee year of independence.
If Samoa was once known as the Navigator Islands, then the Gods must have blessed the island nation with very skilled and exceptional navigators that have successfully steered it through half a century of political independence.
Balancing the careful development of a deep sea mineral industry and environmental concerns can be a veritable minefield for PACP governments.
A spate of recent natural disasters – such as the Samoan earthquake and tsunami of 2009, the Tuvaluan drought of 2011 and the Fijian flash floods in early 2012 – have had devastating effects on Pacific Island countries, claiming hundreds of lives, displacing thousands of people and placing considerable strain ...
For many in the region, the path to better livelihoods comes paved with a number of obstacles. A vast majority lack basic access to information and communications technology (ICT) like mobile phones, computers and the Internet, essential in today’s global economy.
It’s no secret that the region’s fisheries resources – an important source of food and export revenues for Pacific Island countries – are under considerable strain.
Can trade be a catalyst for change? With the region’s agriculture and forestry exports seen as having sustainable growth potential – and the ability to transform rural livelihoods, the answer may be yes.
The adverse effects of climate variability and climate change are putting additional pressure on already vulnerable Pacific Island states and affecting the very basics of survival – fresh water supply and food production.
Many Pacific Island countries and territories (PICTs) face a great number of challenges today. In order to build robust economies and deliver lasting benefits to their people, these PICTs must address the pressing issues of the day such as climate change, natural disasters and dwindling fisheries resources – to name ...
- Fri 07 Mar - Switzerland: UN health agency issues guidance on access to contraceptive information, services
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Australia's asylum-seeker obsession risks damaging PNG relations
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Australian-funded charcoal project making life a little cleaner and easier for Papua New Guineans
- Fri 07 Mar - Cook Islands: Cook Islands chosen as Pristine location for Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary swimsuit issue
- Fri 07 Mar - Fiji: Fiji awaits words from Timor Leste on Volunteer Scheme
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Nauru and PNG complain of Australian media coverage
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Manus Island inquiry: PNG may not allow Australian probe on its soil
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Lethal injection to be used in PNG capital punishment
- Thu 06 Mar - Fiji: Kalouniwai is Fiji's Military LandForce Commander
- Thu 06 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG on brink of IT revolution