The plummeting world copra prices has forced copra plantation owners to look for other avenues to raise the value of their copra.
Opinion =========== The Pacific is growing in its geostrategic value to global power projections. Having the region vulnerable to economic collapse—driven by acute energy deficiency and price volatility—is to entertain competition and conflict. This invites instability in a region whose control is central and inimical to global power relationships, especially ...
Do you know what percentage of the population in your country has access to electricity? Do you know how dependent your country is on fuel imports? Do you know what the energy consumption level is in your country? Do you know what the carbon footprint of your country is?
AUCKLAND, NZ---- The Cook Islands Prime Minister, Henry Puna has called for a stronger, unified effort by the Pacific to break its dependency on fossil fuels.
Businessman David Iro, who pioneered solar development in his native Solomon Islands, was looking forward to cap off his success by manufacturing solar for the first time this yea—12 years after he started from almost nothing.
The United Nations General Assembly declared 2012 as the International Year of Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All), recognising that access to modern, affordable energy services in developing countries is essential for sustainable development.
In his second and final stint at the helm of the world’s most powerful country, President Barack Obama can afford to go for broke. He does not have to deal with any possibility of a re-election and knows this is his opportunity to give his best shot at fixing things ...
On 29 October, 2012, Tokelau became the first country in the world to be producing one hundred percent of its electricity from a renewable source—the sun.
Energy plays a critical role in the development efforts of the Pacific region. For instance, access to affordable and sustainable sources of energy has strong linkages with the reduction of hardship and poverty.
Around 7 million out of the 10 million people living in the Pacific Islands countries and territories still do not have access to any form of electricity. Therefore, the region has largely concentrated on generating extra electricity.
- Tue 23 Sep - Climate Change: Neighbours must do their share: Pacific climate network
- Tue 23 Sep - Papua New Guinea: PNG’s Sovereign Wealth Fund: still too many loose ends
- Mon 22 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: Bainimarama being sworn in as Fiji’s 6th PM
- Sun 21 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: Vote verification in Fiji's elections enters day four
- Sat 20 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: Fiji First Party gunning for huge win
- Sat 20 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: Election Commission rejects parties’ irregularity complains
- Sat 20 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: Fiji Election Result Update: 7am (fiji time)
- Thu 18 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: Parties refuse to accept election defeat
- Thu 18 Sep - 2014 Fiji Election Update: International observers declare Fiji elections “credible”
- Thu 18 Sep - Papua New Guinea: Digicel receives approval