The plummeting world copra prices has forced copra plantation owners to look for other avenues to raise the value of their copra.
Opinion =========== The Pacific is growing in its geostrategic value to global power projections. Having the region vulnerable to economic collapse—driven by acute energy deficiency and price volatility—is to entertain competition and conflict. This invites instability in a region whose control is central and inimical to global power relationships, especially ...
Do you know what percentage of the population in your country has access to electricity? Do you know how dependent your country is on fuel imports? Do you know what the energy consumption level is in your country? Do you know what the carbon footprint of your country is?
AUCKLAND, NZ---- The Cook Islands Prime Minister, Henry Puna has called for a stronger, unified effort by the Pacific to break its dependency on fossil fuels.
Businessman David Iro, who pioneered solar development in his native Solomon Islands, was looking forward to cap off his success by manufacturing solar for the first time this yea—12 years after he started from almost nothing.
The United Nations General Assembly declared 2012 as the International Year of Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All), recognising that access to modern, affordable energy services in developing countries is essential for sustainable development.
In his second and final stint at the helm of the world’s most powerful country, President Barack Obama can afford to go for broke. He does not have to deal with any possibility of a re-election and knows this is his opportunity to give his best shot at fixing things ...
On 29 October, 2012, Tokelau became the first country in the world to be producing one hundred percent of its electricity from a renewable source—the sun.
Energy plays a critical role in the development efforts of the Pacific region. For instance, access to affordable and sustainable sources of energy has strong linkages with the reduction of hardship and poverty.
Around 7 million out of the 10 million people living in the Pacific Islands countries and territories still do not have access to any form of electricity. Therefore, the region has largely concentrated on generating extra electricity.
- Fri 25 Jul - Australia: Criminalisation of homosexual behaviour in Pacific countries undermining HIV effort, advocates say
- Fri 25 Jul - Australia: Australian PM pulls out of Pacific Islands Forum Leaders Meeting to deal with MH 17 tragedy
- Thu 24 Jul - Australia: Bill Clinton: Aids-free generation within reach if we boost HIV treatment
- Thu 24 Jul - Papua New Guinea: PNG, Europe eye more trade
- Thu 24 Jul - Fiji: New Fiji Link ATR 42-600 arriving soon
- Thu 24 Jul - Samoa: Frozen Samoan taro soon to be on the overseas market
- Thu 24 Jul - Fiji: Fijian soldiers caught in crossfire
- Thu 24 Jul - Papua New Guinea: Challenge on PNG grace period law set for August
- Thu 24 Jul - Scotland: Fijian President hold talks with UK Minister for Commonwealth
- Thu 24 Jul - Samoa: Plane goes down near American Samoa