The plummeting world copra prices has forced copra plantation owners to look for other avenues to raise the value of their copra.
Opinion =========== The Pacific is growing in its geostrategic value to global power projections. Having the region vulnerable to economic collapse—driven by acute energy deficiency and price volatility—is to entertain competition and conflict. This invites instability in a region whose control is central and inimical to global power relationships, especially ...
Do you know what percentage of the population in your country has access to electricity? Do you know how dependent your country is on fuel imports? Do you know what the energy consumption level is in your country? Do you know what the carbon footprint of your country is?
AUCKLAND, NZ---- The Cook Islands Prime Minister, Henry Puna has called for a stronger, unified effort by the Pacific to break its dependency on fossil fuels.
Businessman David Iro, who pioneered solar development in his native Solomon Islands, was looking forward to cap off his success by manufacturing solar for the first time this yea—12 years after he started from almost nothing.
The United Nations General Assembly declared 2012 as the International Year of Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All), recognising that access to modern, affordable energy services in developing countries is essential for sustainable development.
In his second and final stint at the helm of the world’s most powerful country, President Barack Obama can afford to go for broke. He does not have to deal with any possibility of a re-election and knows this is his opportunity to give his best shot at fixing things ...
On 29 October, 2012, Tokelau became the first country in the world to be producing one hundred percent of its electricity from a renewable source—the sun.
Energy plays a critical role in the development efforts of the Pacific region. For instance, access to affordable and sustainable sources of energy has strong linkages with the reduction of hardship and poverty.
Around 7 million out of the 10 million people living in the Pacific Islands countries and territories still do not have access to any form of electricity. Therefore, the region has largely concentrated on generating extra electricity.
- Fri 14 Nov - China: China to lift aid to Pacific, sees cooperation with Taiwan allies
- Fri 14 Nov - Australia: U.S and Kiribati sign historic cooperative arrangement to protect vital marine habitat in the Pacific
- Mon 10 Nov - French Polynesia: French justice minister defers Tahiti trip
- Mon 10 Nov - Cook Islands: Relief as Cook Islands budget is passed
- Mon 10 Nov - Fiji: Modi to hold mini summit in Fiji
- Tue 04 Nov - Fiji: Political will needed to revive ailing Fiji tuna industry
- Tue 04 Nov - Australia: Helping Pacific islanders eat more "greens"
- Tue 04 Nov - Fiji: PIDF invited to key regional meetings
- Tue 04 Nov - Guam: FSM leaders unveil post-Compact action plan
- Tue 04 Nov - Fiji: British reinstates military training for RFMF