As it edges closer to an election later this year, the Hapi Isles appears to be in an economic turmoil.
Sometimes it only takes one determined person to bring about dramatic transformation. Olokolas Sisim, of the Pamosu language community, is such a man. In 2000, Sisim attended a literacy course run by SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) in PNG and was inspired to start a school for his community.
For 50 years, the Community Education Training Centre (CETC) in Narere, Fiji, has empowered hundreds of women who have gone on to make strong contributions to development. CETC was founded in 1963 as a programme of the South Pacific Commission, now the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC). It was ...
As a graduate of the University of the South Pacific (USP) and for someone who taught there for two years, I have a soft spot for this premier tertiary institution of the Pacific. USP is far from being perfect, but it is the one shining example from the many regional ...
PARIS, France ---It is possible to help make basic education universal by 2015, despite a global funding gap which increased to US$26 billion from US$16 billion during the past three years, according to new figures released today by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
The University of the South Pacific will require $242 million to finance its Strategic Plan which aims to focus on meeting the needs of the region.
For a small islands nation, Fiji has too many universities that are creating waste and un-necessary duplication of roles and courses, a Fiji-born lawyer and former diplomat has said.
PNG Maritime College, the Pacific’s premier maritime institution, is steaming ahead with the opening of new facilities to lift the standard of seamen training in the region.
Young Pacific people are doing better in the classroom, according to newly released data. But together with Maori, they are still lagging way behind their European and Asian peers in New Zealand schools.
Strong literacy and numeracy skills are the critical foundation for learning and for a lifetime of success.
Our islands continue to be threatened by so many issues—waste and pollution; degradation of natural ecosystems; invasive species; overfishing; and of course, climate change and natural disasters. At times, it just appears to be overwhelming.
SUVA, Fiji (USP) -- A special function to mark the one-year partnership extension for the year 2013 between the University of the South Pacific and Australia was held on 30 January.
The media's role is said to be to hold a mirror to the government and to society without fear or favour. But Pacific media practitioners and academics are doing a disservice to their professions and to media consumers at large as they continue blackening one other's faces putting their narrow ...
- Tue 16 Dec - Fiji: Fiji Opposition warns that not Pacific country immune from terrorism
- Tue 16 Dec - Australia: Martin Place, Sydney siege over, gunman identified as Man Haron Monis
- • Tue 09 Dec - Islands Business Exclusive: Pacific Sport: The best of 2014
- • Tue 09 Dec - Islands Business Exclusive: Expelled Australian diplomat given 48 hours to leave Fiji
- • Fri 05 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: WCPFC chair makes early exist
- Fri 05 Dec - Fiji: Tuvalu PM praises Fijian teachers
- Fri 05 Dec - Tonga: Lord Vaea set to be nominated as Tongan Prime Minister
- • Fri 05 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: WCPFC Apia Meeting Shut Down
- Fri 05 Dec - Solomon Islands: Who will be the new PM of Solomon Islands?
- • Thu 04 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: Fiji joins body on Pacific Bluefin tuna fishery