The PNG government has chosen a new Commander for the Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF)—Colonel Gilbert Toropo, the former Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, the Royal Pacific Islands Regiment.
Canberra has turned its attention back to the Pacific. No more potent a symbol of this renewed interest could be found than the Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith’s visit to Tonga on the eve of releasing the Defence White Paper ‘Defending Australia and its National Interests’. The fact that Smith ...
In May, Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith made his first official visit to the Kingdom of Tonga, joining counterparts from New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Tonga —but not Fiji—for the inaugural South Pacific Defence Ministers Meeting.
- Wed 16 Apr - Australia: Asylum babies ‘must not be sent to PNG’
- Wed 16 Apr - Fiji: Fiji Airways codeshares with Etihad Airways
- Wed 16 Apr - Fiji: WHO & ONOC Join Efforts to Motivate Physical Activity
- Wed 16 Apr - United Kingdom: Pressure Mounts as Deadline for EU-Africa Trade Talks Looms
- Wed 16 Apr - France: ACP Sugar group teams up with CIRAD research centre on agriculture, development activities
- Wed 16 Apr - New Caledonia: Lack of access to data frustrates scientists
- Wed 16 Apr - Fiji: Fiji Airways and Etihad Airways sign groundbreaking interline agreement
- Wed 16 Apr - Papua New Guinea: Bank South Pacific aims to expand
- Wed 16 Apr - New Zealand: Important work for new Pacific Advisory Group - NZ First
- Wed 16 Apr - USA: U.S Army's presence in Pacific won't diminish