The PNG government has chosen a new Commander for the Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF)—Colonel Gilbert Toropo, the former Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, the Royal Pacific Islands Regiment.
Canberra has turned its attention back to the Pacific. No more potent a symbol of this renewed interest could be found than the Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith’s visit to Tonga on the eve of releasing the Defence White Paper ‘Defending Australia and its National Interests’. The fact that Smith ...
In May, Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith made his first official visit to the Kingdom of Tonga, joining counterparts from New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Tonga —but not Fiji—for the inaugural South Pacific Defence Ministers Meeting.
- Wed 12 Mar - Italy: UN expert calls for bridging gap between urban consumers and local food producers
- Wed 12 Mar - Tonga: National Human Rights Consultation a first for Tonga
- Wed 12 Mar - Niue: Niue govt investigates salary increases for specialist fields
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG Nasfund CEO: Contribution must be universal
- Wed 12 Mar - Fiji: Clock ticking for Fiji to ratify interim EPA
- Wed 12 Mar - Fiji: Fiji Police consider special election recruitment
- Wed 12 Mar - Australia: ‘Asylum standards top those of PNG’: Bishop
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG Opposition react on Treasurer sacking
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG Treasurer accept sacking by PM O'Neill
- Wed 12 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Kiribati public utitlity board to learn from Water PNG