The PNG government has chosen a new Commander for the Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF)—Colonel Gilbert Toropo, the former Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, the Royal Pacific Islands Regiment.
Canberra has turned its attention back to the Pacific. No more potent a symbol of this renewed interest could be found than the Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith’s visit to Tonga on the eve of releasing the Defence White Paper ‘Defending Australia and its National Interests’. The fact that Smith ...
In May, Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith made his first official visit to the Kingdom of Tonga, joining counterparts from New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Tonga —but not Fiji—for the inaugural South Pacific Defence Ministers Meeting.
- Thu 24 Apr - Kiribati: Kiribati receives new diplomat to look after New Zealand High Commission
- Thu 24 Apr - Fiji: NZ urged to tread carefully over new ambassador role
- Thu 24 Apr - Papua New Guinea: WHO slams PNG National Doctors Association
- Thu 24 Apr - Fiji: You must register to vote: Fiji Elections Office
- Thu 24 Apr - Papua New Guinea: K5 million needed for Cyclone recovery in PNG
- Thu 24 Apr - Australia: Dry weather predicted across western Pacific as El Nino cycle set to return early
- Thu 24 Apr - Fiji: Teenage pregnancies in the Pacific still cause for concern, says United Nations
- Wed 23 Apr - Switzerland: ACP countries addressing climate change together: GCCA Intra-ACP conference
- Wed 23 Apr - USA: On Mother Earth Day, UN urges protecting planet from ‘heavy hand of humankind’
- Wed 23 Apr - Fiji: Fiji stakeholders pleased with ginger export approval