New MP elected in Tuvalu
FUNAFUTI,Tuvalu --- Tuvalu has a new Member of Parliament.
Leneuoti Matusi was declared winner of one of the two seats for the island of Nui. He beat strong opposition from sitting member, Taom Tanukale and newcomer, Palemene Anelu.
Radio Tuvalu reports that Matusi polled 297 of the 778 voters registered for the island constituency. Tekinene, who graduated from the University of the South Pacific, last year, received 206 votes while Tanukale only managed 160 votes.
The seat was left vacant after Tanukale, a former health minister in the Willie Telavi government resigned his cabinet post. The other MP for Nui is Pelenike Tekinene, the island’s only female MP in parliament.
While very little is known of Matusi, PACNEWS has established the new MP was a former civil servant and served as the Secretary of the Nui Falekaupule.
It’s also not known which side the new MP will support. Prime Minister Enele Sopoaga currently enjoys the support of eight members while the opposition has six members.
The one day polling closed at 4pm Tuesday afternoon and the final result was confirmed at 11pm last night.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Fri 07 Mar - Switzerland: UN health agency issues guidance on access to contraceptive information, services
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Australia's asylum-seeker obsession risks damaging PNG relations
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Australian-funded charcoal project making life a little cleaner and easier for Papua New Guineans
- Fri 07 Mar - Cook Islands: Cook Islands chosen as Pristine location for Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary swimsuit issue
- Fri 07 Mar - Fiji: Fiji awaits words from Timor Leste on Volunteer Scheme
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Nauru and PNG complain of Australian media coverage
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Manus Island inquiry: PNG may not allow Australian probe on its soil
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Lethal injection to be used in PNG capital punishment
- Thu 06 Mar - Fiji: Kalouniwai is Fiji's Military LandForce Commander
- Thu 06 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG on brink of IT revolution