ENELE SOPOAGA SWORN-IN TODAY AS TUVALU’S NEW PM
By Robert Matau
Mon 05 Aug 2013
TUVALU’s new Prime Minister Enele Sopoaga will be sworn in with his cabinet today at 2pm after the Opposition won a motion of vote of no confidence last Friday.
Soon to be Foreign Affairs Minister Taukelina Finikaso told Islands Business that nominations for Prime Minister were presented to the Governor General on Saturday
"On Sunday we held a special session to elect the Prime Minister, which was presided over by the Governor General Sir Iakoba Italeli.
“We won 8 votes to 5 and declared Enele as our new Prime Minister,” he said.
Vete Sakaio a civil engineer by trade, is the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Public Utilities. Sakaio was also a cabinet minister in the Maatia Toafa’s government in 2010.
Toafa takes over the portfolio of Finance and Economic Development.
Monise Lafai becomes Minister for Communications and Transport. He too served as Finance Minister in Toafa’s cabinet.
Fauoa Maani takes over the portfolio of Education Youth Sports and Health. He served as Health Minister in the Toafa cabinet.
Namoliki Neemia becomes Minister for Home Affairs and Rural development.
Nukufetau MP Pita Elisala, who forced the numbers against Willy Telavi’s Government by winning the Nukufetau by-election in June, becomes Minister for Natural Resources.
Government now has eight members as opposed to the Opposition’s five, including the Speaker. The resignation of Taom Tanukale as Health Minister and the long absence of Falesa Pitoi, former Health Mnister means the Opposition has to work hard to match Government’s numbers in parliament.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Mon 26 Jan - Switzerland: UN Women launches next phase in ‘HeForShe’ campaign at Davos Forum
- Mon 26 Jan - Samoa: Managing Mercury Waste a Growing Priority in the Pacific islands region
- Mon 26 Jan - Switzerland: In Davos, Ban urges global action in 2015 on development, gender equality, climate change
- Mon 26 Jan - Northern Mariana Islands: 2015 tourism summit one of the best so far, says organizer
- Mon 26 Jan - Fiji: SPTO to host tourism expo in Melbourne
- Mon 26 Jan - Tuvalu: Swire Pacific Ship Management Ltd is ready to employ Tuvaluan seafarers
- Mon 26 Jan - Vanuatu: Fijian Foreign Affairs Minister attend MSG Foreign Ministers’ meeting
- Mon 26 Jan - Tonga: Noble's sentencing adjourned to 05 February
- Mon 26 Jan - Federated States of Micronesia: FSM’s Mori meets Forum SG, Dame Taylor
- Mon 26 Jan - Tonga: Tongan Speaker surrenders right to appoint chairman of Parliamentary committees