GG appoints Sopoaga as Tuvalu’s caretaker PM
By Robert Matau
Thu 01 Aug 2013
IN a move that has escalated political tension on Tuvalu the Governor General and head of State has sent out a proclamation removing Prime Minister Willy Telavi from his office and appointing Opposition leader Enele Sopoaga as caretaker Prime Minister.
Governor General Sir Italeli Iakoba confirmed to Islands Business 20 minutes ago that his security officer and personal assistant had left his office to distribute the letters to all members of parliament including the Prime Minister and the Commissioner of Police.
Sir Italeli was countering a public announcement by Telavi on his plan to remove the Governor General.
“Up until now I have not received anything from Telavi so I have decided to use my own powers and make the proclamation,” Sir Italeli said.
“I have also sent a copy to the Attorney General.”
He declined to reveal further details of the letter.
Opposition member Taukelina Finikaso said Telavi made a public announcement today that he would be removing the Governor General.
“Now the GG as the head of a Commonwealth nation and the Queen’s representative of Tuvalu has the powers to uphold the constitution of Tuvalu which is what I believe the GG has done.
“If the Speaker of the House and the Government are not following the constitution, the people of Tuvalu will only be able to rely on the GG’s judgment on this matter and he has done so.
“We are awaiting our letters before we meet as an Opposition to decide the next step.”
Finikaso confirmed that Sopoaga would become caretaker Prime Minister.
Yesterday the Opposition had sent out a second petition to Sir Italeli after Speaker of the House Kamuta Latasi had refused to accommodate a motion on a vote of no confidence, which was on the agenda.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Fri 07 Mar - Switzerland: UN health agency issues guidance on access to contraceptive information, services
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Australia's asylum-seeker obsession risks damaging PNG relations
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Australian-funded charcoal project making life a little cleaner and easier for Papua New Guineans
- Fri 07 Mar - Cook Islands: Cook Islands chosen as Pristine location for Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary swimsuit issue
- Fri 07 Mar - Fiji: Fiji awaits words from Timor Leste on Volunteer Scheme
- Fri 07 Mar - Australia: Nauru and PNG complain of Australian media coverage
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Manus Island inquiry: PNG may not allow Australian probe on its soil
- Fri 07 Mar - Papua New Guinea: Lethal injection to be used in PNG capital punishment
- Thu 06 Mar - Fiji: Kalouniwai is Fiji's Military LandForce Commander
- Thu 06 Mar - Papua New Guinea: PNG on brink of IT revolution