Tuvalu’s former PM Sopoaga has another shot
OPPOSITION leader Enele Sopoaga’s older brother Saufatu Sopoaga is one of three candidates nominated for the vacant Nukufetau seat by election, scheduled for June 28.
Sopoaga and Elisala Pita were nominated by the Nukufetau community with a strong Opposition backing, and it is understood one of the candidates will withdraw their nomination during the withdrawal period.
Government has nominated career school teacher Petely Niuatui. She taught at Motufoua Secondary school and is now with the Foundation Unit of the University of the South Pacific in Tuvalu.
Pita has had a long and distinguished career with the Fisheries Department culminating in his being employed as a Fisheries Adviser with the USAID, then based in Suva.
At the end of his tenure with USAID, he returned to Tuvalu and became a Permanent Secretary for Natural Resources and Environment for several years, until he was elected to parliament in 2002 from Nukufetau.
He held his seat for two consecutive terms until he lost the elections in 2010 elections.
Saufatu Sopoaga was a career civil servant and retired from the civil service as the Secretary to Government, the highest post in their civil service.
He was elected in 2000 and became Prime Minister, but their party was involved in a lot of internal squabbles and he lost his seat in the 2006 elections.
His younger brother Enele took over from him in the last general elections in 2010.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Fri 31 Oct - Tonga: Twenty Fourth Council of Ministers of Tourism Meeting - Communique
- Fri 31 Oct - Fiji: Additional EU funds to contribute to the sustainable use of marineresources in the Pacific
- Fri 31 Oct - Fiji: Fiji attracts old friends as China’s clout grows
- Fri 31 Oct - Fiji: Business Forum focuses on trade relations between Australia and Fiji
- Fri 31 Oct - Tonga: SPTO to empower Pacific islanders to take their tourism products up another level
- Fri 31 Oct - USA: World Bank Board approves second US$5 Million operation for Tonga
- Fri 31 Oct - Papua New Guinea: Highway opposed : Papua Separatist leader
- Fri 31 Oct - Fiji: UNHCR regional representative presents credentials to Fijian foreign minister
- Fri 31 Oct - USA: FBI: Boy missing from Seattle found in Niue
- Fri 31 Oct - Papua New Guinea: PNG govt sets up emergency Ebola plan