FAO assists community aquaculture development in Tonga
APIA, Samoa --- Development of community-based milkfish farming in Tonga will be given a boost through a project under the FAO Technical Cooperation Programme.
The project will work on Nomuka Island and Tonga’tapu and it has a total budget of USD231,000.
The project document was signed by the Minister for Agriculture & Food, Forests and Fisheries, the Honourable Sangster Saulala, in Tonga and the FAO Sub-regional Coordinator for the Pacific Islands, Gavin Wall, during the 10th Meeting of FAO South West Pacific Ministers for Agriculture held in Apia, Samoa, 11-13 April 2013.
The primary objective of the project is to develop commercially viable and environment-friendly milkfish farming systems in Nomuka Island and Tonga’tapu that will result in a sustainable source of food and income for island communities in Tonga.
The project will be executed by the Fisheries Department, Ministry of Agriculture & Food, Forests and Fisheries in Tonga in cooperation with FAO.
Under the project, the viability of community-based milkfish farming systems will be demonstrated by establishing and operating two pilot aquaculture systems. This will require the identification of suitable farm sites, environmental impact analysis, construction of the farm ponds, training in farm operations and management, local feed production, post harvest handling of the fish and marketing.
The communities will be involved in each step of the process and will receive extensive training in the operation of the farm as well as in business management.
Successful implementation of the project will enhance food security in the communities in Nomuka and Tonga’tapu. And it will add to the efforts of the government to establish viable income sources for local communities and to increase local production of nutritious food.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Tue 22 Apr - USA: Ahead of Sendai conference, Ban pushes for 2015 global agreement on disaster risk
- Tue 22 Apr - Northern Mariana Islands: Two apply for Saipan casino license
- Tue 22 Apr - Northern Mariana Islands: Google Earth to visit Saipan next month
- Tue 22 Apr - Papua New Guinea: British think-tank calls on PNG to improve its forest governance by partnering with Europe
- Tue 22 Apr - Samoa: Samoa's former finance minister keeps UN as an option
- Tue 22 Apr - Fiji: National Candidate List by August 25
- Tue 22 Apr - Papua New Guinea: PNG, Indonesia set for border talks
- Tue 22 Apr - Indonesia: Indonesian foreign minister Marty Natalegawa expects Australia to sign off on deal to limit spying
- Tue 22 Apr - Cook Islands: Huge marine park in Cook Islands on track for 2015
- Wed 16 Apr - Australia: Asylum babies ‘must not be sent to PNG’