KOICA-sponsored Project to Fight Against Tuberculosis in Fiji
SUVA, Fiji---- Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and the Korean NGO, ‘World Zero Tuberculosis (TB) Movement’ will implement the project on the capacity building of TB control services in the Northern division of Fiji, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Fiji and World Health Organisation-South Pacific Office.
World Zero Tuberculosis Movement was established in 2004 and aims to prevent and treat tuberculosis, one of the main causes of death in developing countries.
The whole project, estimated to be FJD 235,000, will be jointly funded by World Zero Tuberculosis (TB) Movement and Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA).
This health project will be carried out for a year from Feb 2013 in the Northern division, specifically targeting Rabi Island and Savusavu, known to have a higher rate of TB compared to the rest part of Fiji.
A team of three specialists, Dr. Dal-sun Han, Dr. Sang-Jae Kim and Kang Mi-Kyoung, are currently visiting Fiji to discuss details of the project which include the following:
Public TB awareness programme
Providing medical service for TB patients
Training 60 Fijian medical staffs twice over the project period
Developing TB manual for checkups and treatments
They had a meeting with Dr. Neil Sharma, the Minister for Health of the Republic of Fiji and paid a call to the Korean Embassy on 26 February.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Tue 16 Dec - Fiji: Fiji Opposition warns that not Pacific country immune from terrorism
- Tue 16 Dec - Australia: Martin Place, Sydney siege over, gunman identified as Man Haron Monis
- • Tue 09 Dec - Islands Business Exclusive: Pacific Sport: The best of 2014
- • Tue 09 Dec - Islands Business Exclusive: Expelled Australian diplomat given 48 hours to leave Fiji
- • Fri 05 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: WCPFC chair makes early exist
- Fri 05 Dec - Fiji: Tuvalu PM praises Fijian teachers
- Fri 05 Dec - Tonga: Lord Vaea set to be nominated as Tongan Prime Minister
- • Fri 05 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: WCPFC Apia Meeting Shut Down
- Fri 05 Dec - Solomon Islands: Who will be the new PM of Solomon Islands?
- • Thu 04 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: Fiji joins body on Pacific Bluefin tuna fishery