Civoniceva to captain Fiji Bati to Rugby League World Cup
SUVA, Fiji ---The Vodafone Fiji Bati team management have named 21 of their 24-member squad to the Rugby League World Cup with Petero Civoniceva and Wes Naiqama confirmed as captain and vice captain respectively.
Naiqama is one of seven players from the 2008 RL WCup squad alongside Alipate Tani, Kaliova Tani, Jason Bukuya, Ashton Sims, Wes Naiqama, Aaron Groom and Darryl Millard who have been recalled for this year's World Cup.
Notable names missing from the squad include Jone Wesele, Fiji Residents captain Sevanaia Koroi, Osea Sadrau, Akuila Uate, John Sutton and Jarryd Hayne who were all part of the 2008 edition.
Former Fiji 7s winger Semi Radradra, Marika Koroibete and Sisa Waqa are among notable players named in the squad.
Fiji Bati head coach Rick Stone said they will reveal the names of three additional players later. He acknowledged the 34 players who had a run last night in the Battle of the Bati for a good show.
Stone said he returns to Australia soon to meet up with players still participating in the NRL.
"We will return after the NRL finals on October 7 and we will have another run in the West."
The selection of the squad follows the Battle of the Bati match between the Overseas Fijians and the Fiji Residents at the ANZ Stadium tonight. The match was won by the Residents 18-14.
Meanwhile the Rugby League World Cup 2013 is scheduled for 26 October to 30 November with fourteen teams contesting the tournament.
The Vodafone Fiji Bati face Ireland in their opening game on Monday, 28 October at the Spotland Stadium, Rochdale, England.
21 of the 24-member squad: Sisa Waqa, Wes Naiqama (VC), Kevin Naiqama, Darryl Millard, Marika Koroibete, Semi Radradra, Ilisavani Jegesa, Aaron Groom, Apisai Koroisau, James Storer, Alipate Noilea, Kaliova Tani, Tariq Sims, Korbin Sims, Ashton Sims, Petero Civoniceva (Captain), Kaine Evans, Jason Bukuya, Vitale Jnr Roqica, Tikiko Noke, Eloni Vunakece.
Fiji Residents 18-14 Overseas Fijians Residents - Tries: Eroni Lima(2), Tikiko Inoke, Conversion: Jo Vetaukula (3) Overseas - Tries: Henry Raiwalui, Qaraniqio, Sakeo Raloa; Conversion: Alipate Tani.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Thu 24 Apr - Kiribati: Kiribati receives new diplomat to look after New Zealand High Commission
- Thu 24 Apr - Fiji: NZ urged to tread carefully over new ambassador role
- Thu 24 Apr - Papua New Guinea: WHO slams PNG National Doctors Association
- Thu 24 Apr - Fiji: You must register to vote: Fiji Elections Office
- Thu 24 Apr - Papua New Guinea: K5 million needed for Cyclone recovery in PNG
- Thu 24 Apr - Australia: Dry weather predicted across western Pacific as El Nino cycle set to return early
- Thu 24 Apr - Fiji: Teenage pregnancies in the Pacific still cause for concern, says United Nations
- Wed 23 Apr - Switzerland: ACP countries addressing climate change together: GCCA Intra-ACP conference
- Wed 23 Apr - USA: On Mother Earth Day, UN urges protecting planet from ‘heavy hand of humankind’
- Wed 23 Apr - Fiji: Fiji stakeholders pleased with ginger export approval