Cooks pensioners on warpath over tax
RAROTONGA, Cook Islands --- Cooks Islands pensioners are pitting themselves against the government over tax laws surrounding their collection of New Zealand superannuation.
There are almost 600 people across the Pacific who receive the New Zealand pension under special regional portability provisions - of those, almost half live in the Cook islands.
Under the Cook Islands government’s new compliance programme, New Zealand superannuation beneficiaries are required to pay 25 percent on any income over 10,000 New Zealand dollars.
But the president of the newly-formed Cooks Islands Grey Power, Tupe Takau Short says he and fellow retirees face a debt of over eight thousand dollars and the finance minister has no show of getting that money.
“He has to throw the whole 290 of us in jail and the jail is not big enough to put us there, that is how strong we are, we’re going to face it, we’re not going to back out. Everyone is on on a warpath to our government - and to the tax man and his minister.”
Tupe Takau Short says pensioners are prepared to pay a one percent tax and want the back taxes scrapped.
...or view more articles related to these topics:
...or try these related articles:
- Tue 16 Dec - Fiji: Fiji Opposition warns that not Pacific country immune from terrorism
- Tue 16 Dec - Australia: Martin Place, Sydney siege over, gunman identified as Man Haron Monis
- • Tue 09 Dec - Islands Business Exclusive: Pacific Sport: The best of 2014
- • Tue 09 Dec - Islands Business Exclusive: Expelled Australian diplomat given 48 hours to leave Fiji
- • Fri 05 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: WCPFC chair makes early exist
- Fri 05 Dec - Fiji: Tuvalu PM praises Fijian teachers
- Fri 05 Dec - Tonga: Lord Vaea set to be nominated as Tongan Prime Minister
- • Fri 05 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: WCPFC Apia Meeting Shut Down
- Fri 05 Dec - Solomon Islands: Who will be the new PM of Solomon Islands?
- • Thu 04 Dec - 11th Session of the WCPFC, Apia: Fiji joins body on Pacific Bluefin tuna fishery